Ever gotten home after a long day, looked in the fridge and realize there was nothing to eat? We've all been there, but instead of pulling up Seamless (or having chocolate and a glass of wine for dinner - hey, no judgement here), this recipe shows you that having a well stocked pantry is key to getting a healthy and delicious meal on the table in no time.
Featuring gluten-free pasta, salty black olives and fragrant lemon zest, the sauce for this pasta comes together quickly and is super light so you won't feel weighed down afterwards. While there are a few non-pantry items in this recipe (like the arugula or cheese), the recipe won't suffer too much if you don't have any on hand (and you can leave out the cheese if you want to make this vegan). And yes, lemons aren't technically a pantry item, but I always suggest having a few on hand - whether it's for your morning lemon water or just to make a pretty centerpiece in a big bowl!
What are your go to items in your pantry?
Lemony Pasta with Black Olives (Gluten-Free, Vegetarian)
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
12 ounces gluten-free spaghetti (I used Ancient Harvest Quinoa)
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, juiced
3/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted & sliced
3 cups arugula
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup ricotta salata, shaved (can also use Asiago or Parmigiano-Reggiano)
1 tablespoon Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions and cook until al dente.
2. While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add garlic, cooking 2 minutes (being careful not to burn).
3. Lower heat to low and stir in olives, cooking another 1 minute. Add lemon juice, salt, pepper and then cook an additional minute.
4. Turn heat off and add in arugula and 1 tablespoon lemon zest. Drain pasta and reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water and add both pasta and water to skillet, tossing to combine.
5. Place pasta in a serving bowl and top with remaining lemon zest, ricotta salata and parsley. Serve alongside a simple green salad and a glass of wine!