For me, sweet potatoes are the perfect fall or winter dish especially when I need some extra grounding or nourishment.
Easy to prepare, these stuffed sweet potatoes are a staple in my meal plan and never let me down.
BBQ Tempeh Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Time: 40 minutes
1 sweet potato
1 small bunch kale (about 4 leaves), stems removed and cut into small ribbons
1/3 cup tempeh, cubed
1/2 cup low sugar BBQ sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, crushed
1 tablespoon green onion, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Using a fork, poke holes all over the sweet potato. Roast the potato in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until soft.
3. Remove sweet potato from oven, slice open lengthwise down the middle and lower heat to 375F.
4. Mix together tempeh and BBQ and let sit for 10 minutes. Discard excess BBQ sauce and place tempeh on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake tempeh in the oven for 20 minutes, flipping once.
6. While tempeh is baking, heat half of the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add kale, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes or until kale is wilted slightly. Place kale inside the roasted sweet potato.
7. Add remaining olive oil to the pan and over medium-low heat, add the egg. Cook 8-10 minutes or to your liking.
8. Remove tempeh from the oven and place on top of the kale. Top entire sweet potato with the egg and garnish with green onions.