Healthier Holiday Cocktails: Even though I'm a health coach, I believe in balance and for me that means enjoying a nice cocktail or glass of wine with family and friends. With the holidays upon us, I'm sharing my favorite healthier cocktail recipes every week in December. Cheers!
If you couldn't tell by now (especially if you follow my Instagram), I love entertaining. From small dinners to holidays, it's one of my greatest joys in life to see people enjoying delicious food, and making memories around the table. Even with all of the (mostly self-induced) chaos that entertaining can sometimes bring, I never for a second regret it.
Now, that being said, I certainly have learned ways to plan a less stressful get-together over the years. From putting together easy appetizers to always having a small snack on hand for when friends stop by, I love being able to share some of these tips with you.
That's why I am so excited to share this last cocktail in my Healthier Holiday Cocktail series. One thing you don't want to be doing while you entertain is taking your attention away from your friends and family to mix up individual drinks which is why this make-ahead Pear & Ginger Sangria is a great option instead.
With crisp pears and slightly spicy ginger, this sangria will please even the sangria doubters who feel it's often too sweet or fruity. By using a simple syrup made from honey, this sangria is light on the sugar but full of flavor. I like to also add in some frozen cranberries to serve as ice cubes so your sangria doesn't get watered down. Simply leave out a big pitcher and pretty glasses for everyone to serve themselves and ensure you never need to leave the fun!
Read below for the full Pear & Ginger Sangria recipe and don't forget to watch the how-to video below.
Pear & Ginger Sangria
Makes: About 5 cups
Time: 10 Minutes Plus 3-4 Hours Chill Time
3 medium pears, cored
3 tablespoons chopped ginger (about a 2 inch piece)
1/3 cup vodka
3 tablespoons high-quality honey
3 tablespoons water
1 750ml bottle dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
2 cups frozen cranberries
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the honey and water. Stir to combine and cook for 5-8 minutes or until slightly reduced.
2. Chop 2 of the pears into cubes and add to a large pitcher. Add in the ginger, vodka and honey simple syrup. Muddle lightly to release more of the flavor.
3. Add the bottle of wine to the pitcher. Stir lightly and cover. Place in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
4. Remove sangria from the fridge and strain, removing any of the remaining sediment, pear and ginger. Place strained liquid back into the pitcher.
5. Thinly slice the remaining pear and add to the pitcher along with the 2 cups of frozen cranberries.
6. Stir gently before serving and enjoy!