While nuts such as almonds are great to keep around for a snack when you are on the run, they can get a bit, um, boring after awhile. Am I right?
If you are looking to spice up (literally) your snack, try these Cacao & Chili Dusted Almonds. They contain only a small amount of sugar as well as a healthy dose of antioxidants from raw cacao.
Make a big batch and store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
CAcAO & Chili Dusted Almonds
Makes: 2 Cups
Time: 40 Minutes
2 cups raw almonds
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons raw cacao
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (use more or less depending on how spicy you want them)
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Place almonds in a single layer on a baking tray lined with parchment paper (or a Silpat). Place the almonds in the oven and toast for 8-10 minutes, flipping once. Be careful not to burn them!
3. While the almonds are in the oven, combine the two tablespoons of cacao, chili powder and salt in a small bowl.
4. Once the almonds are toasted, add them to a large bowl and pour the maple syrup and cacao chili mixture over them. Using a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon, toss to evenly coat. The almonds will be very hot and will be sizzling.
5. When the almonds are coated and they stop sizzling, sprinkle with remaining cacao. Toss again once to coat.
6. Lay almonds in a single layer on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Let cool for 30 minutes before serving or storing in an airtight container.