So often, part of eating well is being prepared, especially when it comes to parties and times spent with friends who may not all be on the same page food & health wise. In the summertime, I always like to come prepared with a few more well balanced foods (like this German Potato Salad) whenever I show up to an event. But parties aren't only about the food and today I am sharing a fun spin on a sweet, adults only treat.
While I would hardly call this version of jello shots "healthy", life is all about balance and these little treats are perfect for a summer party with friends. Instead of using a powdered, pre-made jello mix which are full of sugar and other preservatives, these gummies are made purely with fruit juice and a touch of natural sweetener if desired. Also, they use grass-fed gelatin which is much higher quality than standard gelatin blends.
The result is a slightly sweet, slightly tart gummy with just enough taste of the alcohol. And if you don't feel like eating them by themselves, go ahead and drop one into your glass or Prosecco or sparkling water for a little something fun.
I'd love to see what you're up to this Labor Day weekend so don't forget to tag your recipes with #wellnessbykristen
Healthier Watermelon Gummy Shots
Serves: About 16 medium sized gummies
Time: 10 minutes plus 1 hour chill time
2 cups watermelon, cubed
1 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon sweetener of choice (such as honey), optional
3 tablespoons Vital Proteins Collagen
1/2 cup vodka
1. In a blender or food processor blend the watermelon until smooth. Strain through a fine mesh sieve or a cheesecloth and reserve the juice (pulp can be thrown away or eaten :)). This should result in about 1 cup of watermelon juice.
2. Place the watermelon juice into a small saucepan and stir lime juice and sweetener (if using). Sprinkle the gelatin on top and let sit about 3-4 minutes.
3. After 3-4 minutes, place saucepan over medium low heat and whisk in the gelatin until completely dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in the vodka.
4. Using either a container with a spout or a turkey baster, pour liquid into silicone mold which has been placed on a baking sheet (for support).
5. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until set.
6. Remove from the mold and enjoy!