I'm going to be honest, Valentine's Day isn't a holiday I really celebrate that much. Sure I love celebrating love (whether it be a loved one, family, friends or self-love), I just don't understand why we need a singular day for it. Shouldn't we celebrate love and life every day?
I won't go on and on about my philosophical musings of this holiday because I know you are really here for these Meyer Lemon & Strawberry Glazed Madeleines. They're the perfect little treat whether you are going all out on Valentine's day or aiming for a more low-key holiday instead. While chocolate is the more common Valentine's day sweet, I wanted a lighter, fresher flavor for these delicate cakes.
Meyer lemons are one of my favorite citrus flavors to pick up this time of year. They are less tart and sweeter than traditional lemons and pair perfectly with both sweet and savory dishes. Using a little bit of freeze dried strawberries adds a nice complementary fruity note as well as a festive dash of pink with no nasty food dyes.
I chose to make these madeleines with gluten-free flour, well, because I wanted to try it! But you can easily swap out regular, all-purpose flour if gluten-free isn't your thing.
Enjoy these scrumptious little cakes with your sweetheart, your lady loves or all by yourself! They go great with a cup of tea, coffee and of course, champagne.
Happy Valentine's Day! <3
Meyer Lemon & Strawberry Glazed Madeleines
Makes 12 Madeleines
Time: 25 Minutes
FOR THE MADELEINES
4 tablespoons butter, melted and then cooled
1/4 cup organic cane sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup gluten-free flour plus more for dusting*
1 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest
1 tablespoon Meyer lemon juice
FOR THE GLAZE
1/3 cup freeze dried strawberries
1/3 cup Meyer lemon juice
1 tablespoon Meyer lemon Zest
1 tablespoon water
3/4 cup organic confectioner's sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Take a pastry brush and generously grease a 12 cavity Madeleine pan. Dust then pan with 1-2 tablespoons of the flour, shaking off any excess.
2. In a large bowl, add the egg, sugar and salt. Using either a mixer on medium speed or a large metal whisk, beat together for 5 minutes or until frothy and pale. Stir in the vanilla extract until combined.
3. Sift the flour into the egg and sugar mixture and whisk together until combined. Add the Meyer lemon zest and juice, stirring gently to incorporate. Slowly stir in the melted and cooled butter until fully incorporated. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before pouring 1.5 tablespoons of the batter into each of the Madeleine molds.
4. Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden brown and springy. Remove and turn the pan over a metal cooling rack. Gently tap out each Madeleine and let cool completely.
5. To make the glaze, blitz the freeze dried strawberries in a food processor or blender for 15 seconds or until a powder forms. It's okay if there are still a few larger pieces. Add the powder to a medium bowl and pour in the Meyer lemon and zest. Stir to combine before adding the confectioner's sugar and water. Whisk together until smooth. If you desire a thicker glaze, add more sugar. If you prefer a thinner glaze, add more water.
6. Dip the edged side of each Madeleine in the glaze, being sure to cover that side completely. Place on a wire cooling rack, glaze side up and let the glaze firm up. Be sure there is a pan under the rack to catch any spills!
* I use the Trader Joe's Gluten-Free Flour blend and have really loved it so far.