The official start of Summer is still a few days away but I'm already thinking of ways I can use my oven less in the upcoming months. Not only do I want to avoid melting away every time I cook a meal but my appetite really begins to shift once the mercury hits its highs and I crave a lot more cooling and refreshing foods.
To try and achieve this "not to melt" goal and still not sacrifice my sweet tooth, I whipped up this Tahini & Chocolate Greek Yogurt Tart. Filled with creamy Greek yogurt, nutty tahini and swirls of chocolate, this dessert is also no-bake which means it's ready at a moment's notice (say for an impromptu post-beach BBQ).
Tahini is an incredibly versatile item I always like to keep in my pantry. While many people associate this sesame spread almost exclusively as being a key ingredient in hummus, it actually has a whole bunch of uses that are both sweet and savory. It's nutty flavor and smooth texture make it the perfect complement for rich chocolate and tart Greek yogurt.
So, next time you're looking for something sweet but can't fathom turning on your oven, give this Tahini & Chocolate Greek Yogurt Tart a try and let me know how it is using #wellnessbykristen on Instagram. Happy eating!
Tahini & Chocolate Greek Yogurt Tart
Time: 30 Minutes
For the Crust
15 Medjool dates, pitted and softened*
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup raw almonds
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Filling
2 cups Greek yogurt
1/2 cup creamy tahini
3 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3-4 ounces dark chocolate chips
Flakey sea salt (optional)
1. In a food processor, place the oats and the almonds. Chop for 30 seconds or until the almonds are in small pieces. Add the dates, coconut oil, sea salt and cinnamon. Process for 1 minute or until the mixture holds together when squeezed into a ball.
2. Transfer crust mixture to an 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. While you can use a pan without a removable bottom, it will be more difficult to remove slices from the pan.
3. Spread out the crust in the pan, pushing it up the sides to the top and ensuring the bottom is even. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
4. While the crust is in the freezer, prepare the filling by combining the Greek yogurt, tahini, honey and salt in a medium bowl. Mix until the tahini is completely incorporated into the yogurt and then set aside.
5. To make the chocolate over the stovetop, use a double boiler to melt the chocolate slowly over medium-low heat. Stir frequently to prevent burning. Alternatively, you can melt in the microwave in 30 second increments until smooth.
6. Remove the crust from the freezer and spread the yogurt tahini mixture evenly on top. Once the chocolate is smooth, use a spoon to drop spoonfuls on top of the yogurt. Using a skewer or a knife, make swirls by running it back and forth through the yogurt and chocolate.
7. Let rest for 10 minutes in the fridge before garnishing with flakey sea salt (if using) and serving!