Did you happen to stock up on cranberries around Thanksgiving and have a few bags lingering in your freezer?
Well, whether you have to make good use of extra cranberries or not, this simple appetizer is sure to be a festive hit at your holiday dinner. The creamy cranberry goat cheese helps to lower the heat from the jalapeños while adding some Panko breadcrumbs to the tops gives them a crunchy texture without the need to fry them. Plus, the colors could not be any more festive!
I hope you try these out for your holiday meal and don't forget to use #wellnessbykristen on Instagram to show me how they came out for you!
Cranberry & Goat Cheese Stuffed Jalapeño Peppers
Makes: 20 Pieces
Time: 45 Minutes
1 cup cranberries
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (about 1 medium orange)
2 tablespoons honey
8 ounces goat cheese, softened
10 jalapeños, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds and veins removed
1/4 cup gluten-free Panko breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the cranberries, orange zest, orange juice and honey.
3. Bring the cranberries to a low boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until cranberries have broken down. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
4. Once cranberry mixture is cool, add it to a stand mixer along with the softened goat cheese. Alternatively, you can add to a medium mixing bowl and use a hand mixer.
5. Whip together the cranberry and goat cheese using a paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy.
6. Place the prepared jalapeños on the baking tray, cut side up. Use a piping bag (or a Ziploc with the corner cut), to pipe the mixture into each jalapeño half. Alternatively, you spoon the mixture in with a spoon but it is a messier method!
7. In a small bowl, mixture together the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and olive oil until small crumbs form. Top each of the jalapeños with the breadcrumb mixture.
8. Place the tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 2 minutes before serving!